Brief history of São Paulo
Distant 250 miles (400 Km) from Rio de Janeiro, and 640 miles (1024 Km) from Brasilia São Paulo is also the State capital. The Jesuits José de Anchieta and Manoel da Nóbrega, who established a mission along the Tiete River to convert the Tupi-Guarani Indians, founded the city on January 25, 1554.
São Paulo became officially a city in 1711 and experienced a boom in the late 19th century during the coffee cycle and the enormous plantations established in the area.
After 1881 with the end of slavery, waves of immigrants from Italy, Japan and other countries arrived in São Paulo to work on the plantations.
The City great expansion began in the 20th century with the industrialization, which brought even more immigrants like Arabs and Jews.
Today São Paulo is the largest city in South America and one of the largest in the world and like other large metropolitan areas has its share of traffic jams, pollution, poverty and noise.
It also offers a great number of options for tourism and entertainment.
|Population: 10 millions|
|Fleet: 5,5 million vehicles (almost 2 persons per car)|
|Cultural center: 11|
|Big football stadium: 07|
|Cinema: 223 cine rooms|
|Dancing club: more than 150|
|Modern show house :11|
|Race track: 1|
|F1 Grand Prix|
|São Paulo Fashion Week|
|International Cinema Show|
Not to mention fairs and shows that are held in the city all year long in its 400.000 square meters of exposition area, International Convention and Congress.
To accommodate all those people, São Paulo offers high number of hotels which will be over 50.000 hotel accommodation until year 2003.
- Travel resumes as study says Brazil flights spread virus October 10, 2020
- Brazil’s humane refugee policies: Good ideas can travel north October 10, 2020
- Why we don’t need Michael Palin’s ‘Brazil’ October 10, 2020
- Travelling to Brazil? Here’s what you should know about yellow fever October 10, 2020
- Venomous yellow scorpions are moving into Brazil’s big cities – and the infestation may be unstoppable October 10, 2020